Saturday, August 25, 2012

At the Grocery

Sometimes when I go to the grocery store on my scooter to pick up a couple of things, I forget I brought the scooter and a couple things turns into 8 bags of groceries plus 2 gallons of milk.  It's kind of an awkward moment when I pull my cart up to my scooter, trying to figure out how to make this work.  And then when I do make it work, I feel pretty awesome.  And also kind of like a total dweeb.

The weekend before school starts in Provo is a crazy day for grocery stores.  Our double college town just about doubles in population over a weekend and there is a mass exodus to fill empty refrigerators and pantrys.  I avoid it at all costs, but we just returned from a week of vacation and desperately needed groceries, so I joined the mass movement of all the other students who desperately needed groceries.  Every time I do this it reminds me of a certain grocery trip I took with my sister Alison to Walmart. The weekend before school starts + a  Saturday + a BYU football game day = The worst Walmart experience of my entire life.  The place was a freaking zoo.  Add the fact that at least 80% of all customers were wearing at least one BYU item of clothing and it was just a really bizarre, crowded, color-coordinated experience.  I kind of felt like I was in a city that just got hit by natural disaster, or that scene in Jumanji where people are raiding the grocery stores and there's only a handful of items left on each shelf. 

Still living in Provo even though I graduated a year and a half ago makes me feel like I'm spying on a club that I used to be part of but have since moved on from.  I get this awkward feeling like someone's going to call me out on being a married, graduated, parent-of-one that doesn't belong in the sea of single people hitting on each other, exchanging phone numbers and inviting each other to hang out.  I do though like watching roommates grocery shop together and remembering how that takes about 10 times as long as going by yourself, but it's ok because it's so much more fun. 

I ran into my little brother at the grocery store.  !!! How cute!!  I'm so excited he's here! It's been too long since I lived in the same city as my siblings.  (Maddy moved to Logan last week to attend USU and I'm really happy for her but still really wish she was in Provo too)  He's kind of a stud and I told him he looks way more like a man and way less like a young teen-aged freshman than he used to.

And that's it for my grocery experience of the evening.  Except that I just want to make one thing perfectly clear and that is that I shop Smith's, not Walmart.  And I'll never go back.  That's all.

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha yay for being a smith's shopper. I, too, avoid Wal-Mart like the plague! Also, I have done the whole "go to get one thing at the store and end up buying a crap-load only to remember that you brought your bike" thing before, too. It's quite the experience. Also, that's crazy to me that your sis is in college! Dana. We're getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "it was just a really bizarre, crowded, color-coordinated experience." Literal lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...