Saturday, March 10, 2012

Exercise

I have been very very excited to be able to exercise again after pregnancy. You know, exercise like a normal person that doesn't have a 25 pound beach ball strapped to their front. Before yesterday, I was one week shy of not having gone on a run in one entire year. I don't think that's ever happened since I learned how to run. I know the exact date because March 17, 2011 I ran my first half marathon and after that was pretty over running, was busy with work and finals, and then I got my new bike and was suddenly very uninterested in my running shoes. And then I can blame the next 9 months of not running after that on pregnancy (anyone hear about that woman who ran a marathon 9 months pregnant and gave birth like 7 hours after crossing the finish line? she's crazy) So, I gave myself the recommended 6 weeks of post-birthing healing time without exercising except for some walking with Camryn and some small yoga mat exercises here and there, but yesterday I decided--it was time. Time for a run, no matter how feeble, pathetic, and short. And let me tell you--it was feeble, pathetic and short. I knew it would be bad, but it was bad. My body felt so extremely awkward, as if it had never made those motions before--like watching an adult learn how to ski. I made it 3 blocks. And then after walking and looping back, I did 2 more blocks on the way home. It was a serious blast to my ego. I guess recovery is a slowly but surely thing.

I hesitate to even mention this one, but the day before that I went to a 30 minute all-abs class at the gym. Now, I had no delusions going in that I would even come close to completing this workout or be able to do everything-- even on my best days pre-pregnancy, gym classes kick my butt every time. But I wanted to get out of the house and I thought I'd just go (10 minutes late) , find a spot in the back, take it really easy, and get a little start on getting some ab muscles back. I laughed through almost the whole class (which hey, now that I think about it, does build ab muscles, right?). I couldn't even get my body into the positions to even start the exercises that this lady was doing--not even for one rep. Not even kind of. I kept thinking of the time my little brother looked at my pregnant sister, studying her 9 month belly and asked "wait--when your pregnant where do your abs go?" Well, Ryan, they disappear entirely. Like I said, I'll get them back slowly but surely. . .

1 comment:

  1. I learned the "disappearing abs" fact only a couple of weeks ago. I never knew this before! And quite frankly...it scared me...
    Also, I'm glad to see that you, too, went on a run yesterday. It was beautiful outside!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...