Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Recipes

I just want to take a moment and share some of my new absolutely favorite recipes. I'm sure any of you who cook and follow cooking blogs already know about Our Best Bites, but I recently discovered it and love them. I got the book, have already tried half of it's recipes, and by now am confident that every single recipe of theirs rocks. I am OBSESSED with these taquitos and so is my husband.
Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos

I've probably made them once a week since I discovered them. They are awesome with this dressing.

Creamy Lime-Cilantro Dressing

Also, new favorite:

Spicy Honey Chicken Salad


The chicken is good on its own but better in the salad. Most amazing entree salad I've ever had. Soooo good!

One more. I got this from my friend Shelly's blog and it's the easiest thing in the world and they last for like 10 meals (also Steph, very healthy). I served it over brown rice with cheese and veggies like the recipe says, but they are also good to eat just with tortilla chips, wrapped up in a burrito, or to dip the taquitos in (see above). Thanks Shelly I love these!

Cuban Black Beans

1 lb. black beans
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves minced garlic
6 C. water
1/2 C. olive oil
2-3 tsp. salt

Cook on High 6-8 hours

-It recommends to add 1/4-1/2 C white vinegar about an hour before serving. However, I left this out because it had a ton of flavor without it. It tastes delicious served over brown rice or even quinoa.

We add a little cheese (I like it w/Monterrey Jack,) tomatoes, some sautéed veggies.

I am having grocery budget blues. I'm on a huge try-new-recipes kick and when trying a new recipe I often have zero of the ingredients (spices!) and can spend half my grocery budget for the week buying everything for one new recipe. Besides that my husband and I both have a ridiculous sweet tooth and . . . bottom line we love to eat. A lot. I fantasize about being rich someday and walking through the grocery store putting every single thing that strikes my fancy into the cart. Buying endless fresh produce, expensive meat, name brand everything without time-consuming price comparison. mmm. . . food. . . love it. I dream big huh?

3 comments:

  1. You have those kinds of day-dreams too? I always hope for the day when I don't have to feel guilty every time I go to the grocery store and spend more than the allotted weekly budget.
    Also, I have never made beans on my own before...is it intimidating? ha ha
    Also, I haven't tried that many recipes from my "our best bites" cookbook yet, but the ones I have tried, I've loved! I made the Italian dressing last night, and everyone loved it. And we eat the quick and easy salsa every single week. You should try that recipe! I've been wanting to try the spicy honey chicken salad... glad to know it's good. You should continue posting other recipe ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I dream about that too! I also dream about one day having the time to make dinners ... and a kitchen table to eat them at ... Right now ours is covered in baby stuff, really our entire apartment is covered in baby stuff, who knew someone so little could take up so much space!

    That creamy lime-cilantro dressing looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'll have to try some of those! It's funny you say that about the budget b/c Zach and I always say that when we have money, the one thing we're already excited to spent it on is good food! I share your dream :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...