Monday, June 18, 2012

Growing Something

Here, I dared you to grow something.  And here, I'm doing it.  I think the rest of my 6-plex has probably started calling me the plant lady.


If you want to feel really good about yourself, plant green beans.  They grow really fast. 

Here is my geranium and 2 tomato plants.  I'm afraid I don't have enough sun for the tomatoes, but we'll see.

I've already got one!

Thank you, mother-in-law, for this beauty.

Vinny III


Next:  I dare you to do something that puts yourself out there. 

For me, this means I am going to enter the Utah Original Writing Competition.  Since not all of you (or any of you?) write, I'm not going to dare you specifically to enter, so interpret this dare as you will to your own circumstances.  Someone posted a link to this competition on Facebook and it's exactly what I needed right now.  I really want to do something with my writing, but right now, I'm just not exactly sure what.  I have a lot of ideas . . . but not a lot of work to show for it.  So, I want to start doing things that actually put my work out there.  The competition deadline for this year is June 29th, which isn't a whole lot of time, so I'm going to submit a children's book I have already written to the "Juvenile Book" category (which, coincidentally, is about a plant lady).  Next year, though,  I want to write a piece to submit to the Biography/Autobiography/History category (which I just realized is a bit ambitious, since there is a minimum length of 60,000 words requirement.  But still doable!) I have some ideas for pieces that would be perfect for this competition, and this might be just the push I need to really get serious about working on them. 
With that said, my childrens book isn't something I want to post here, but I do need some help and feedback on it, so if you are someone who would be willing to read it and want to, comment or send me a message and I'll send it to you.  But only if you promise to give me honest, thoughtful feedback on it!

5 comments:

  1. I love growing things, but Texas won't let me. I'm jealous of your plants. All of mine except 1 have died. We tried a little herb planter, but the hot sun just fried it. So, is Vinny III a bloodline relative of the Vinny I gave you?

    Send me your story! I wanna read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana! I will totally read it! I've read quite a few children's books. We do that sometimes in first grade. Send it to me @ heidimhopper@gmail.com or we can get together sometime and I'll snuggle camryn and read your story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember that time in Mrs. Forbush's class when we were story writing champs (ok ... mostly you)? I want to read it! laurenkmcmullan at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll read it! :) jodynicole20@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. VINNY LIVES ON!!!

    And I'd love to read it too, but I don't think I'll be very good at critiquing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...