Saturday, May 26, 2012

I Dare You

I've been thinking about this for a while (which you'll understand in a little bit is kind of ironic).  I've been thinking about how there are a lot of things that I think about that I never actually do.  Things that I want to happen in my life, or things that I want to accomplish.  Things that I pin, people I mean to call, hairstyles I mean to try, dreams I mean to follow, gifts I mean to give, trips I mean to take, DIY projects I mean to try, races I mean to run, bucket list items I mean to cross off, you get the picture.  Intentions you might call them--good intentions.  We all have them.  Some of you may be at a time in your life when your entire existence is so consumed by one intention that there is no space for side projects (i.e. graduate from college, raise 5 kids) and that is 100% acceptable.  Not that I'm not busy, but right now I do not have such an all consuming task at hand you might say.  Obviously, I take care of Camryn, but she's a good baby and let's be honest--sleeps a lot.  And I work too, but I have a lot of down time at work that I probably could be really productive during but instead I really just waste that time (that down time is the whole reason I even started a blog, because I have to be at a computer then anyway) when I could probably do something a lot more productive.
Bottom line is I've been kind of down on myself lately about lots of things I'm not doing.  I want to be someone who pursues their passions and doesn't just sit around thinking about it.  SO.  I decided to start something of a blog series where I dare myself to do things.  Initially, I thought I'd pick something to dare myself to do, then do it, then write a blog post about it daring all 10 of you that read this thing to do it too.  But--that cheesy saying that says 'it's not a goal until you write it down' is kind of true, and a few weeks have passed without me doing anything about the things I've been thinking about due to lack of motivation.  I think, then, that I will dare myself (along with you) in a blog post first, which will then hopefully give me motivation to follow up!  Some things will be very small, and some hopefully big.  So, follow me if you'd like and get inspired to do a thing or two with your life and turn it into what you want!

First dare:  I dare you to do something creative this week.  Anything at all.  Paint it, sew it, write it, bake it--whatever.  Just get your creative juices flowing, make a big mess, and create something.  Go!

5 comments:

  1. I'm totally with you Dana. I have a lot of spare time right now and I definitely have things I want to do, but I never do them! I love your idea to have a dare and then share it on your blog. I'll have to try to keep up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lane! I feel like whenever I'm really busy, like during the school year, there are a million things that I wish I had time for and can't wait to do when things slow down. But when I get there and finally have a ton of free time, what I actually do is sit around bored!

      Delete
  2. Yay! I'm excited about this! I always think about this concept and it's something that I need to be better at doing... accomplishing things, that is. Thanks for the dare. I'll try to complete each one of them. I'm excited to see what else you have up your sleeve! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every once in a while when Ruby is napping and the other girls are playing, I find a few minutes where I want to do something different, something that contributes to something bigger than myself. Nate suggested I try indexing. I tried it, and I love it! It is so easy and so interesting to see where people came from and what their life is like. Try it, you might like it. Just register at lds.org. One batch of imputing 25 names takes only about 30 minutes, but you can do as many batches as you'd like and even set goals for yourself. It's an awesome thing that stay at home mommies can do, especially when it's hard to get out to the temple as often as we'd like :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...