Monday, May 14, 2012

Roadbiking season!


I love my Cannondale.  This bike was my graduation gift last April from my fabulous parents.  Let's be honest, mostly from my dad.  My two older sisters that graduated college both got sewing machines as their graduation gifts and as much as I would love for sewing to be something that I love to do--it's not.  I applaud the sewing endeavors, ambitions, and accomplishments of my mother and sisters, but decided that that is a machine just a little too intimidating for me to dive into at this time in my life.  I chose this bike instead!  And I love love love it.  My dad is a fairly serious biker and (brag moment) has completed LOTOJA 6 times (pretty sure it's 6).  LOTOJA is a 206 mile bike race from Logan, UT to Jackson, WY.  Yes, 206.  I rode my bike SIX miles today and am feeling pretty pooped, so. . . props to my old man.
As most of you know, I was pregnant shortly after graduating, so I didn't get to enjoy my gift very long until my belly just wasn't having any of this bike riding business.  The first ride I went on with my dad nearly killed me--26 miles.  And I was pregnant but he didn't know it yet! I got in a few months of riding but soon it became just a new beautiful object decorating my living room that I couldn't actually use.  I couldn't believe how amazing it felt to get back on her when spring came!  I'm starting out small--6 miles on Saturday, 6 more today--And to my credit a lot of it is steep uphill around the Provo Temple--a hill which I think most Provo runners/bikers are familiar with and probably have a love/hate relationship with like I do.  I want to do a my first bike race this summer, possibly a triathlon in my near future (anyone want to volunteer to teach me to swim?) and one day, someday--LOTOJA.  Before I actually do the whole race myself, I want to do it one year on a relay team--anyone interested?
For now, you may see me cruising my way around Provo, trying to avoid construction (what the heck? there is a construction explosion everywhere I go) searching out bike lanes (I'm considering writing my local politicians and voicing my support for more bike lanes) and absolutely adoring Mt. Timpanogos.  Isn't it beautiful today??

2 comments:

  1. I think Zach and I are going to be bikers. Zach for sure. We just have to wait until we can afford bikes :) For now I'll just enjoy my sewing machine :)

    I have no aspirations whatsoever to complete Lotoja. MAYBE participate in a relay, but no time soon. I think I was tainted by that marathon. It made me never want to do anything hard ever again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am offering up my services... I will teach you to swim for a small price of nothing. Just as long as you bring Cameryn, too. :) Miss you, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...