Thursday, September 6, 2012

Error in my Favor

The greatest thing just happened.  I called Utah Valley Regional Medical Center to pay one of the last installments on our payment plan for Camryn's delivery bills.  One of the things that nobody warned me about when I was pregnant was that so many people are going to send you bills.  If I had just received one big fat total bill in the mail that said "this is how much it cost you to have your child.  please pay us",  I would have been fine.  But instead, the hospital sends you a bill for your costs, and then a different one for your baby's costs.  And then we got one from the anesthesiologist, one for x-rays, one from the OB-GYN, one from the pediatrician, and by the time that 8th envelope shows up in the mail, it's not even the overall cost that's stressful, it's the overwhelming feeling you get that there is a never-ending stream of you-owe-us-money-mail coming your way when you thought that the first one that showed up was all you owed.  Be prepared for that.

Anyways, here was a lot of confusion with our bills because I have 2 insurances and the wrong one was listed as primary, so the insurance companies were billed wrong, and then I was billed wrong.  And then they realized the mistake and I had to talk to too many people on the phone and long annoying story short, I had a bill in my hand that as far as I understood was finally correct and final and I was calling to pay part of it.  (and I really actually didn't understand, insurance is just so insanely confusing to me that I had thrown my hands up in the air and decided I was sure enough that it was correct to just go ahead and pay it).

After listening to the dumb recorded message, pressing 1, then 0, then 1 again, then saying my member ID # in a loud, clear, robotic voice (and then saying it again because they got it wrong because duh computers can't understand English and they should just let me speak to a human being) and then listening to another list of options and angrily saying "speak to a representative" and then waiting through 8 minutes of hold time, I finally got to talk to a real person.  (I love call centers, can you tell?) 

He said "well, there doesn't seem to be a balance on your account, so what can I do for you today?"
I was confused and told him about the bill in my hand. 
"Hmm, let me take a look at the account here."
I laughed and jokingly said "I really hope you're about to tell me that my bill disappeared and I don't owe anything."
And then the really awesome thing happened:  he told me that my bill had disappeared and I don't owe anything.

!!  really?  really.  Apparently when they reprocessed my claims correctly (which I thought they had already done, but I guess not), the insurance company paid way more and almost $1,000 of what I owed, I don't owe anymore.

I feel like I just drew that chance card in Monopoly:  Bank Error in your favor, collect $200!  And wow, I'm not sure how I turned that into such a long story, but there you go.   Insurance is still insanely confusing to me, but this time I'm going to take it, run, and stop asking questions!

To celebrate we went to Station 22, a fairly new little sandwich place on Center Street.  Have you guys been there?? It's so amazing.  Very much an indie, eco-friendly, buy local, we-recycle-our-cardboard-and-support-local-business kind of place.  With vegan options on their menu, art on the brick walls, and a cozy corner with comfy chairs, magazines and games.  We were going to share and I told Tanner to get whatever he wanted and he ordered Sage Fried Chicken on Waffles.  wha???  Do I just never try new foods or does that sound wierd?  It was amazing.  Absolutely amazing, and the music was great and the weather was stormy and I was a haaaappy girl.  I don't really ever shamelessly advertise like this, but places like that deserve to do well.  Go eat there.

And did anyone see Mt. Timp tonight??  Beautiful.  And the sky was one million bright bright shades of blue, pink and purple.

It was a good night.  Good good night.



2 comments:

  1. Love that! I happen to hate confusing medical bills too! One time the hospital refunded me something like $300. When I called to ask why, they said that the insurance paid extra, so I got my money back. Sweet! Then, the next month the hospital sent me a statement threatening to send me to collection because I owed them $100. Morons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I think I remember that. I hope you yelled at them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...