Friday, September 28, 2012

Words words

I have this thing for words.  (Notice I said for words, not with words--I'm not being self-complimentary, I'm just expressing an affinity for something.  See what a difference in expression one little word can make?) Anyway, words.  I love them.  I love the way they sound and they way they look and how fun it is to learn new ones and how satisfactory it feels when you find just the right one that will say what you mean.  But there are just a few words that I really really don't like (is it normal to have a least favorite word?  Or is that just a word geek thing?)  Here it is, my least favorite word:  moisture.  bleah.   I hate saying it, I hate hearing it, and very much most of all I hate when people during prayers in church thank God for it.  Where and when on earth did this start?   If you're mormon, you know you know what I'm talking about.  Like when it rains.  Or snows.  Or any kind of precipitation happens.  And the next day at church someone walks up to the pulpit to say the opening prayer and out of their lips creeps a "we thank thee for the moisture we've received."  When what they really actually meant to say was "thanks for the rain."  When have you ever ever ever heard anyone refer to precipitation as "moisture" besides those prayers? In real life, in real conversation?  "Man, we really could use some moisture", "Oh look, it's moisturizing outside." No.  never.  so stop saying it in prayers.  You should probably eliminate it from your vocabulary altogether unless you're a weatherman or someone who tells people where their water damage is coming from.  (Wow.  didn't know I had that in me.  Apparently I have a lot of built up moisture rage.  Now go and tell all of your friends and family and let's stop this bizarre cultural epidemic.  And if you've never noticed it up until now--you're welcome.  I've just created your new biggest pet peeve.)
So,  the whole reason for this post is to tell you I discovered a new word that I hate:  haunches.  I went to a yoga class tonight and the instructor kept telling us to sit back on our haunches.  what???  what part of my body is a haunch? (because if there is such a thing as haunches there must be such a thing as a singular haunch and that just sounds stupid) and obviously I knew what she meant but there must have been a less horrible word she could have used to express herself.  She also kept telling us to articulate ourselves up into this position or down into that position and unless I'm missing something (and I don't think I am because I checked dictionary.com) she doesn't actually know what that word means.  Oh geez, I think I just found out I'm a word snob.  I'm going to stop now.

Does anyone else have a least favorite word?

2 comments:

  1. Living in a farming community, the word moisture gets thrown around quite a lot, ESPECIALLY during prayers haha. And if it makes you feel any better, my husband has told me on more than one occassion that I am a word snob.

    My least favorite word? Panties. I absolutely hate that word, yet for some reason can't help but to giggle like a little school girl anytime it is said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My least favorite word is mannequin. I hate spelling it and I loathe saying it. While I was pregnant, I seriously had myself convinced that it wasn't even and word and it was a word I had made up to describe something. I finally had to ask Eric if it was what I thought it was, let alone a word.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...