Monday, October 8, 2012

New babies and their mittens

what am I up to this morning? How nice of you to ask.  I am using this mornings carpet cleaning as an excuse to curl up in bed eating fruit and warm English muffins, blogging, knitting tiny little baby mittens for all the new babies in my life, and not do anything that requires me to get out of bed and walk on the wet carpet.  Also, trying not to think about how long it's going to take all this wet carpet to dry because for some reason I didn't anticipate that and what am I supposed to do all day?  Camryn is not exactly crawling around all over the place yet, but she's also not exactly content to curl up in bed with me all day knitting and eating English muffins so I'm probably going to have to come up with something here soon that requires more energy than I'm willing to think about right now.

If you follow me on pinterest, I apologize for the barrage of adorable knitted things.  Camryn's hands got really cold the other day and I decided to whip up a few pairs of these:

Free pattern from Spud and Cloe: Sweet yarns for real life

Like I'm an expert knitter or something.  These look like the simplest thing in the world, but let me tell you knitting in the round with double pointed needles is tricky business.  It took me about 2 hours, 6 youtube videos, and 300 re-dos to get started without twisting the dang things up and without my mind exploding from the effort of keeping track of 4 needles, 10 fingers, the purls, the knits, and which side my yarn tail is supposed to be on.  But I got there, and Camryn has a cute new pair of pink mittens (not 3-colored, and accidentally 7 rows to long because I read the pattern wrong but I don't think Camryn will care).  My mom was impressed and coming from the woman who quilts like a ninja, makes her own paper and  sewed my wedding dress, I'd say that's pretty good.  I have a brand new niece as of last week--Emily's baby girl Reese Elizabeth (how darling is her name?), and my next door neighbor had her baby the next day I think (and I'm sorry but newborns Hispanic babies are cuter than white babies and their insane amounts of long dark hair are to die for) and Heather is due in 6 days!!  So, depending on how long my ambition lasts, all of these new babies and a couple of my already existing nieces and nephews with have some new tiny handmade thumb-less mittens soon.  Once I master those, my next project is this little guy:

Free pattern from Lion Brand

Please tell me that's the cutest thing you've ever seen.  
Happy knitting folks :)


3 comments:

  1. The mittens turned out so cute! You are braver than I am! I found some Christmas stockings that I want to knit but I haven't had the guts to try them yet - why is knitting so intimidating?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. knitting is intimidating because it's hard! until you get the hang of it. There's a learning curve for sure, but go for it anyway, once you figure it out it's fun

      p.s. the picture isn't mine, its from the pattern--mine turned out much more crooked and lumpy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...